Wednesday 6 January 2010

First update of the year

Christmas break is over and now its back to work!

At the moment there is a lot of things to be done. The final project is a bit behind schedule to say the least.

The work that Must be prioritised at the moment is as follows.

1)The drive train and the wheels must be mounted immediately if not sooner.

2)The current chassis(which I feel is weak in the general cockpit area) must be strengthened

Trouble is that the current gearbox was designed by the previous team and was supposed to be mounted on the firewall. I would like to change that and mount the gearbox on the far end of the chassis. The reason for this is it gives us more room to mount the motor and batteries and will make changing engines easier once we get the car ready for Shell Eco Standards.

My plan at the moment is to mount the motor on rails and link to the gearbox using a chain drive.

The batteries will also be mounted on rails and will be right below the motor.

This makes removing the batteries easier as they can now be pulled out from the sides.

Also since i have decided to move the gearbox further away from its original intended position i would need to recalculate the toe in of the front wheels because it changes the wheelbase. This involves me reading up on the Ackerman's principle. I am not sure if the previous team did any such thing but if they did data recalculations await me in my future.

I will be posting pictures and renderings of my 3D models here soon and I also hope to put up a video record on our group meetings and a Vlog of me blabbing in the near future.

So here is what to expect in the next few updates:

1) Photographs and schematic diagrams of the vehicle

2)3d model renderings

3)A fully laid out plan of the work that need to be done over the next few weeks

So there is a lot of work to be done and hopefully we can get back on schedule soon

FOR SCIENCE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment